Thursday, December 2, 2010

IMMEDIATE BLOGGING

This is one of those rare stories that requires immediate blogging or the moment will evaporate.

Addison scheduled her follow up doctors appointment for her kidney stone and asked if I would join her for medical support. I agreed and off we went for the 11:00am meeting with the doc.

Her doctor came in, checked Addi's vitals and did some tapping here and there. Addison, being herself, was chatting her up and down. "I just want this thing out of me" Addi said. The doctor said it could take 6 to 8 weeks but they prefer kidney stones be passed instead of some invasive procedure. Addison reluctantly accepted her fate and waited for further instructions.

The doctor prescribed Tylenol 3 in lieu of the vicadin, which was wreaking havoc on Addi's tummy. She also prescribed Flomax. Yes. Flomax. I knew what this was but I couldn't understand why it was being prescribed to my daughter and Addi had no idea. The doctor proceeded to explain to Addison that this drug would increase the diameter of her urether (sp) so that she could more easily pass the stone. She then added that the meds are for elderly men with prostate challenges. "You're kidding me right" was Addison's immediate reply. Her facial expression was a shock and awe sort of thing.

The conversation continued with the funnel strainer, coffee filters and a sweet little jar to keep her stone in so that it could be delivered to the lab. Every time you use the bathroom you must tinkle through the strainers and, well, needless to say, Addison is not happy with this current situation. It is really going to cramp her style.

I am picking up the prescription and coffee filters this afternoon. She keeps the filters with her as a disposable method of capture. I am going to write little notes to her on all of them.

Addison's reaction to her perceived medical nightmare. Priceless.

1 comment:

  1. HAHA! This is great! I just laughed out loud in one of the dining venues!

    ReplyDelete