Sunday, October 30, 2011

GOTTA TELL YA

I love trying out new stuff on the kids in the Treehouse. Like this weekend, for instance, I had fun "changing it up a little".

The kids are all sitting on crates ready to begin and I explain to them that we're going to do an experiment today. "Instead of me telling you the story," and I say this with confident urgency, "you are going to tell me the story." I can only describe their faces as ones of confusion, horror, crooked grins and fingers up noses contemplating. The Treehouse has been silenced. "Go ahead," I say. Utterly silent. "Do you even know the story?" I ask this as if I can not beleive they don't know the story. After a moment, I entice a nod here and there and a sick smile from a kid in the back.

I follow this charade with four sheets of white paper that include hints as to what the story is about and they must complete these before we can continue our time together. Eventually, some kids did figure out which story they were going to hear but not one child could tell the story, which I had planned from the start. My control group for the great Treehouse experiment.

I have to say it worked out perfectly. A job well done in the Treehouse is a job well done for the Kingdom. I praise God that it worked because I did not have a back-up plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment