Sunday, March 11, 2012

THE INJECTION

Shae came home for Christmas with a terrible flare-up of her eczema. It was the worst I had ever seen so I immediately made her an appointment with the family physician and we drove up from Carlsbad.

We arrived at the office, checked-in and sat down. Shae leans over and murmurs in my ear "I've got this Mom. You don't have to go in with me. After all, I am in college." I smiled and pulled out my knitting.

"Shae", a festively clad nurse calls out, and off my little girl goes all alone. Now a moment for myself to ponder days gone by when I took her into the pediatricians office screaming in fear of the dreaded "shot". I have graduated to "stellar" Mom status, one who raised an independent young woman who no longer fears injections. I wonder if they give awards for that kind of parenting?

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by this little voice saying "Mom, I'm gonna need you after all." Hmm.

I get up and walk with Shae into the examination room. As she closes the door she blurts out "I'm getting a steroid shot . . . in my butt!" What is a mother to do but begin guffawing at her 20 year old daughter. Shae, of course, is not amused.

The nurse taps on the door and gracefully swings into action. "Drop your drawers sister" is what I heard but I am sure she was much more professional. Shae grabs my hand and leans over the table with her porcelin hiney exposed.

The stab. The pain. The scowl.

"That's it" the nurse kindly says and exits the room. Now the dance begins. Shae is jumping, bounding, grinding, moving. "It hurts, it hurts so bad." It sounds as if she is mimicking one of the top 10 tunes on the radio.

Then it happens. Words I have never heard escape any of our girls mouths.

"Slap it, slap it good." What? I am stunned. What do you mean? "Slap my butt, Mom, I am in pain here. It will take away the sting."

WOW! Instantly I am gasping for air. I am laughing so hard I can't form the word "no" and the more I laugh the more Shae says slap it. My abdominals have not seen this kind of work out in a very long time. Seriously. I can not breath. Tears are rolling down my cheeks. And then it happens.

The doctor walks in to survey the chaos.

Believe me. This only could happen to a Roderick.

1 comment:

  1. I do not think it went quite like that. However, I was joking around last night and compared the macaron treats i made to little butts and I held one up, turned to Cephus, and said in a little voice, "spank me". He looked at me like I was crazy.

    ReplyDelete