Sunday, March 18, 2012

KEYS

I just needed to run in and run out. No big deal.

I jumped out of the car and started walking casually tossing my keys into my purse. Wait. I overshot my bag and they slipped right through the grate . . . about 4 feet down. Wow. Good thing I was at Home Depot.

I ran into the building and headed straight for customer service. I could find help there for sure. No problem. It took a few minutes but a nice guy came to my rescue and I accompanied him to the parking lot so that we could gaze through grate at my now dirty keys. "Yea, I see them" he said to which I replied politely "so do I".

As he looked things over I could tell this situation was puzzling him. He headed back to the store for reinforcements and I stayed patiently with the keys. When he returned, with another employee, they had the personnel and the tools to complete the job. They removed the grate quite efficiently, but their arms were to short to actually retrieve my keys. Oh brother. This was taking longer than I thought it would.

We had become quite a spectacle in that lonely parking lot and we were attracting attention, alot of attention. I guess when men smell a job to be done they all come running to check it out. This is how they roll. Three men standing around an open hole, talking, thinking, strategizing, laughing, spitting, passing gas and I don't even want to think about what else.

I just wanted my keys back.

Finally, the two employees said they would be right back and took off for the store again. Really. They left behind an older, quiet gentleman who gently grabbed the tool that had removed the grate and started using it as a fishing pole. Genius.

Yes, the man who just happened along, retrieved my keys. The Home Depot guys were impressed when they returned, with more tools I might add, replaced the grate and sent me on my merry way.

It only happens to Roderick's.

No comments:

Post a Comment