Sunday, March 11, 2012

ROIDS

Meds. Orders. Reciept. Prescription. And we are out the door and heading for Target.

I remind Shae that she may get a little "giddy" because her steriod injection was a large dose due to her severe flare-up and she gives me the sideways glance that indicates "I know Mom. I'm not stupid". I leave it alone.

We complete the tasks at hand, she swallows her first prednisone and we head for a quick stop at Jack's to check on a Christmas gift.

Now being the amazing mother I am known to be, I shove Shae out of the car and tell her "Let's make this fast I don't want to get in traffic on the way back down to Carlsbad." This time I recieve the "eyeroll". I let this go because the doctor mentioned there may be some side effects from the steroid injection as well as the oral tablet, although she didn't mention sarcasm as one of them.

As I'm schmoozing with the Jack's staff (actually, it's all me . . . they are also rolling their eyes) I notice Shae is becoming more and more, shall we say active. She is literally running up and down aisles, talking faster than normal (that's really fast for a Roderick), and she's being a little mean to people and she's becoming agitated. Hmm. Time to roll. It seems the side effects are rearing their ugly heads.

"Time to go Shae". Not kidding here. She runs past me, out the front door and is yelling at me to hurry up. She may have said "old woman" but I can not be sure.

Okay.

As we hit the 55 Shae is, there is no other way to say this, all over the place, talking so fast that I can't even understand her. She is totally out of her stinking mind. She is like a rabbit at a shooting gallery. And in the heat of the moment, I simply say, in one of those teachable strands of time that only amazing moms can understand, "Shae, this is why steroid use is illegal for olympic athletes."

She stops mid-sentence. A cloud of contemplation wafts across her angelic face. A few seconds pass and she turns her head and stares intently at me. And then, the all important question . . . wait for it . . . "You mean I can never be an olympian?" I gaze at her with loving eyes. "Honey, what event were you planning to compete in?"

I can not make this stuff up. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment