Sunday, July 25, 2010

GRASSHOPPERS

Kelsey and Shae were driving up the 5 freeway ahead of me. I kept their tailights in my sight. I did not want to lose them. Oregon freeways are not well lit and you can not beleive how dark it is out on those long stretches of open road.

Kelsey's left blinker flickers in front of me and I followed her onto the short ramp. Hmm. This was not an exit I was familiar with but Kelsey must know what she's doing. As I followed her, much closer now, I noticed hundreds of grasshoppers jumping all over the road. It was so cool to watch safely in my car. I wondered how many of those insects were meeting their end under my tires.

I called the girls and asked "what do you guys think about all the bugs?" "What bugs?" they calmly replied. "The ones invading the open road in front of you." I couldn't believe they couldn't see them. "Mom, there are no bugs" they said.

What is wrong with them? There are bugs all over the place. Oh. We are in timber country, lumber everywhere and we are driving by a small mill. There are wood chips all over the road jumping as Kelsey drives by them so as I drive behind her they appear to be jumping grasshoppers.

My bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment