Monday, July 25, 2011

SHAKESPEAR

We were fortunate to be able to score tickets for a play in Will's town, Stratford upon Avon, even though it would not have been one a mother would choose. I can't even remember the name of it now but it did have some adult content. Content that a responsible mother would not reveal to her high school daughters on the big stage.

The play was about battles, love and gay soldiers. In one scene, a very long scene, two of the adult male actors embraced in a somewhat lude fashion as well as deep, sloppy, sexy kissing. Yea, I know. Bad mom.

Addison and Megan could not contain their eruption of laughter and booked it out of the theater. Kelsey, of course, was engrossed, her English major showing. Shae was gaping in observance of something never seen by her virgin eyes. I kept beating myself up about what kind of mother I had become. All in all a normal Roderick reaction. Leaving Shae in Kelsey's capable hands, I quietly exited the play to retrieve the run away girls.

As I stepped out I saw Addison and Megan being scolded by a matronly English woman who adored Shakespear and was not tolerating their reaction to what can only be decribed as one of her favorite plays. "Do not return to the theater if you can not behave."

Being properly informed the girls returned to their seats and were quiet through the rest of the play albeit bored out of their minds.

Do you think they knew we were Americans?


No comments:

Post a Comment