Monday, July 25, 2011

UK TRAIN

After a busy day of sight seeing through the English country side we boarded a train and headed back to Oxford. It was late, maybe around 11:00pm and we pretty much had the car to ourselves.

Kelsey and I sat across from each on one side of the aisle and Addison, Shae and Megan sat across from each other on the other side of the aisle. We were a big across from each other mess.

We were talking and laughing and just being Rodericks when two drunken Brit's sat down behind us. They could tell we were Americans by our accents and frankly we all look very American.

The gentlemen, and I use the term loosely, started talking loud so that we could hear. Politics, jokes, attitudes, expletives. They became bolder and bolder and stood up and stared over our seats. They proceeded to ask us questions and make comments.

Now Kelsey had lived in England for several months and had time to learn to understand the English humor and accents. The rest of us, not so much, so we kept looking to her to translate. I did understand the cussing, curious, but not much else. All I could do was grin and smile. Again, Addi and Meg were laughing at nothing because they couldn't understand a word either.

Shae. Our poor little Shae was scared to death. No smile. No grin. Sheer terror in her eyes. The men were right behind her and she could smell the alcoholic heat of their breath. I felt bad for her but I couldn't stop laughing at her sweet innocent face. I know. Bad mom, again.

Fortunately the two weren't on the train long and as they got off they left me with a comment. Hear this in your best drunken English accent. "Mummy you are not going to have any trouble marrying any of these gals off."

Wow. I love an honest drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment