Wednesday, December 2, 2009

LOCKED OUT

We made our first stop after leaving Kelsey and Seattle behind under a thick cloud cover. I always have a sad heart when I have to leave one of my babies. It never gets easier.

Starbucks, once again, was calling me and we have them all scoped out up and down the 5 freeway. This one was right by a gas station. Scott dropped the girls and I off for our craved coffee and he went on to fuel up the Jeep.

It was a busy morning at this normally slow Starbucks, so I got in line and waited for about 10 minutes until our coffees came up. The girls were sitting at a table and chatting as I walked over to serve them their toasty drinks. I only do this coffee delivery thing when we go out of town. Most of the time the kids are on their own and must grab their own beverages. I joined them as we waited for Scott, and waited, and waited, for almost 45 minutes. What could he be doing? The girls saw him at the station . . . what was taking so long?

Yes, he'd done it again. He had locked the keys in the car with his phone and his wallet. The station attendant told him to call the local fire department. He explained that this sort of thing happened all the time and the firefighters in the area didn't have anything else to do so they like to come out and lend a hand when needed. Another lock guy was in the station and he gave the firefighters a tutorial on a new tool that would help with locked car doors. Everyone was happy that Scott had made a mistake because the community could now benefit from the new found knowledge the firefighters had gained.

Scott got a cool coffee and we laughed all the way down the road.

What can I say . . . we're Roderick's . . . it's what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment