Wednesday, December 2, 2009

SHEEP FARM

As many of you know I am an avid knitter, especially so during the chilly winter months. It gets down in the 60's here in SoCal and I am all about the cozy knitting in front of the TV or fire. I love quick, small projects that include beanies, socks, scarves, hair bands, flowers and I also enjoy the occasional sweater. Natural fibers are my favorite.

We were driving up the 5 on our way to Seattle for Thanksgiving. Just outside of Eugene, Oregon there are the most gorgeous sheep farms I have ever seen. My idea of retiring some day may include living on a small piece of land similar to those observed along that stretch of freeway. So green you got lost in the color with sheep so wooly you could feel their warmth.

Once we got to Seattle, I was able to share my observations with Kelsey and she was all over the idea. She said "Mom, I could buy a farm and raise the sheep for you. I could have dogs and chickens, too. I could write and take care of the whole venture. You could come up and stay during the sheering and lambing months and we could spin the wool and knit up garments and market them. We could do a start to finish business and it could totally be organic. That would be so cool, huh? I am going to research it and I will let you know how hard it would be, but I think it would be a piece of cake if we can find the right fit, a perfect farm for us, right?"

Yes, Kels, it would be cool, but I get tired just thinking about it. Perhaps we can revisit this idea once your sisters are out and on their own like you. For now, my feet are firmly planted in California. And there would be the matter of convincing your father of moving to a colder climate. He loves the tropical heat.

Keep the dream alive, Kelsey, just keep it alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment