Sunday, October 11, 2009

BEAUTIFUL GAME

As submitted by Scott -

When it comes to sports the Roderick family is into SOCCER. In our BK life (before kids) we were diehard wrestling and football fans; we even had season tickets for the University of Utah football games. What brought on this drastic change, you ask? Kids, daughters to be exact.

Our little girls started out with the usual gymnastics and dance classes, but when the kids showed interest in soccer it took Cindy and I two seconds to realize how much we could be saving with youth soccer so we readily encouraged this new athletic output.

After watching the girls have so much fun with the sport, I also decided I'd like to have a go at it so I signed up to coach Kelsey's team, and then Addison's and then Shae's and then Hope's... I was hooked! I loved the sport and I especially loved the extra quality time I got to spend with the girls. Over the 15 years I've coached everything from U6-U16.

But what about Cindy? What drives her to the ‘beautiful game’? I have asked myself this for quite some time but now I think I finally have the answer. Occasionally we attend LA Galaxy games. Sometimes it is a family event, sometimes it’s just the two of us but the last two games were with other couples. During the game I watched Cindy enjoy the refreshments and cheer for the goals and when the game was over, when most people were trying to rush out of the stadium in order to avoid the parking lot traffic jam, Cindy stood up and intently watched the field. She watched the team handshakes, and the camera crew’s postgame interviews, but her eyes continued to search the field. All of a sudden she called out to her female friends ‘Cherlyn’, ‘Kelley”, ‘there he goes, he is taking his shirt off NOW!’ And then I see it: the #23 jersey flies through the air as a frantic fan grabs at it, leaving only a sculpted, tatted and now shirtless David Beckham leaving the field. And now the game is really over. "Time to go," grins Cindy. And now I know why Cindy loves her soccer.

1 comment: