Friday, October 2, 2009

DRUGS

When the kids were little, I always kept the medicines up above the refrigerator.  After all, this was not only high but it would be impossible for them to negotiate around it successfully.  Ha.

I left Addison happily watching TV as I went to make the bed.  I was out of her sight for, maybe, 4 minutes.  That is a long time to leave Addison unsupervised as I discovered.

I went back in to check on her and she was no longer in front of the TV.  She had, in my absence, pulled out a bar stool, climbed up on the counter, opened the cupboard above the refrigerator, took out the Triaminic, unscrewed the childproof cap and drank half the bottle.  I knew how much she drank because I had just given Kelsey some earlier in the week.  I was stunned and concerned.

I frantically called the doctor and the nurse said to give her ipecac, which I always had on hand but had never had to use.  I gave Addi the nasty stuff and she did not put up much of a fuss.  The nurse then called me back in about an hour to make sure she was vomiting and boy was she vomiting.

She continued throwing up for about 2 hours and then crashed for the rest of the day, exactly what the nurse had advised me would happen.  I felt bad for her at the time, but she never tried that stunt again.

Addison is one of those kids who has to experience logical consequences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment