Wednesday, October 14, 2009

R.J.'s DEER

This is a favorite story about my nephew. He wrote it all up for me so I wouldn't forget it. They live in Salt Lake City on the side of a mountain just below a small canyon. Lot's of exploring goes on at my sister's house.

My mom's friend found a big buck up the canyon that a bobcat killed. So up the mountain my friend and I went to see for ourselves. My friend's big dog came with us because you do not want to mess with bobcats and we didn't know if one was still prowling around.

We found the deer and it was pretty tore up and it was a big four point buck. I knew I might be able to make some money selling the antlers, so my friend and I started to drag is down the mountain. We tried to saw off the antlers, but it was getting dark and my sister came up to get us. She and my mother were not happy about a dead deer being dragged towards our house. We decided to stash the deer behind a big rock and headed home.

I dreamed all night about my deer and how I would spend the money I was going to make. During the evening my mom had shared the story with my grandad. He was excited, but was concerned as well. It seems in Utah it's not legal to move an animal that has been killed and/or move body parts of said animal.

Grandad gave me a call the next morning to give me the bad news. I was a little worried because I had already moved the deer, so we just left it where it was and we'll go back someday and see what we can find. Better still, maybe grandad will take me hunting and I can bag my own four point buck.

See, adventure runs in our family.

2 comments: