Monday, October 26, 2009

UGLY BABY

Sometimes your kids just embarrass you beyond compare. This happened when Kelsey was just under two years old and was becoming very verbal, although, still slightly difficult to understand, unless you were her mama.

We were grocery shopping and Kelsey was happily sitting in the cart enjoying the ride. I noticed she was giving the stink eye to a man pushing his baby in a cart heading straight for us. As we passed by him, Kelsey yelled out in the most distinct vocalization of her young years, "Mama that baby is ugly!" I was mortified.

First of all, where did she learn that word? We never used it in our home. Secondly, how did she know what was and was not beautiful? Thirdly, what could I say?

I just anxiously laughed and told Hope that the baby was gorgeous and she shouldn't say things like that. The father looked at me forlornly, but alas, I had no more to say.

We are well aware of the Roderick mouth . . . we just don't know how to react to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment