Tuesday, April 20, 2010

THE RATS BENEATH

We lived in Medford, Oregon. We lived near a field. We had four little girls. We had a rat infestation. Not pretty.

I swear I could hear them in our duct work every night when I would put the girls to bed. It was very unnerving although Scott assured me that if they were indeed in the duct work they would certainly not be able to enter into the house by that route. I was not buying it. I wanted them gone yesterday.

Scott finally agreed to go under the house to try and figure out how they were getting into the duct work in the first place. No basements in Oregon. Just a three foot crawl space that was accessible through the master bedroom closet. I moved my shoes, held the trap door open and sent Scott down under. He was talking to me and I was trying to see around him without setting foot down in the dank beyond.

Scott handed me the flashlight to hold for him while he crawled around and explored a bit. "I can't see anything that would indicate any rats are getting into the house" he said. "I think you are hearing things" he said again, just to make sure I was listening. That comment gave me the opening I needed and I said to him while sitting on the floor in the closet "how about the dead rat that is laying right by your hand? Is that enough proof?"

Skeletal rat remains will always get a big boo-yah!

No comments:

Post a Comment