Monday, August 22, 2011

PEOPLE

We ran by Starbucks tonight to grab a gift card for a friend and we stumbled upon a family quarrel. Let me rephrase that. It was a tongue lashing by a not so calm father. Apparently his daughter was on her way to college and he was letting her know how it was going to be for her. He was very animated. It was the kind of conversation they should have been having in their home without an audience.

I understand the need to make it clear to our kids what our expectations are however there is no need to embarrass or demean them at any time. This dad was certainly not encouraging his daughter.

I felt conflicted about the scene I was witnessing. Should I have steped in? Should I have called someone? No physical harm was being inflicted and mom was sitting there as well. Still did I have a moral obligation to rescue this young woman and/or did this young woman want to be rescued? She was clearly an adult.

At some point in all our lives we are in situations that leave us feeling uncomfortable. It confirmed for me the choices we as parents make concerning our kids and how those choices will affect them in their future lives.

Lord help me make wise choices concerning the Roderick ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment