Sunday, March 7, 2010

CHUCKIE

Chuckie, a seemingly harmless nick name for Charles. Not so in the world of Roderick. Allow me to further explain.

I tried, really I did. I didn't allow the girls to sit randomly in front of the TV watching mindless images burn into their tiny little brains. I monitored their watching, censored what they were permitted to watch at home and researched what the parents of their friends were allowing their children to watch. I was the ever vigilant mother.

We drove into the parking lot at Safeway, and Kelsey started crying. "Mommy, I can't go in there. I am afraid." "Of what, my sweet cherub," I replied with loving kindness. "Chuckie" was all she could say. Firmly, I took her by the hand and walked through the store quickly, just to pick up the groceries I urgently needed. All the while, Kelsey kept a wary eye through out the entire journey. She breathed a sigh of relief as I tucked her into her car seat. I couldn't figure out her fear. What was bothering her?

Again, we drove to Safeway, entered the parking lot and Kelsey explained she could not go in, this time with more fervor. Her fear was real and I didn't want to subject her to that experience again. I took her home to Scott and returned by myself.

Still thinking about her irrational fear as I drove in the parking lot, again, I glanced at the store windows. There, right in front of my eyes was a huge poster of the "Chuckie" movie that we had seen commercials on while flipping through channels. It didn't dawn on me that she was processing those commercials into fear.

Alas, once again I have proven myself to be a normal mother who can't do it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment