Wednesday, March 3, 2010

HBHS IS THE BOMB

All right. I am sure all of you HBer's have heard about the evacuation today at HBHS. I may have made a parenting faux paux yet again. Do not judge me!

Addison and I are at HCS for the K-2nd grade chapel where I am scheduled to speak today. We are waiting for the kids to come and my cell phone, which I have not turned off, rings loudly. I pick it up to a very excited Shae, not fearful. "Mom, check me out . . . we have been evacuated for some reason . . . I don't know why, I just don't want to wait around." OK. I have a decision to make. Go get her and cancel my chapel engagement, which I know is eagerly anticipated by a great number of little darlings or have her walk to the church and meet up with her dad. "No . . . I will talk to you after I do chapel." My decision has been made.

Now, I did not take this turn of events lightly. I have been here before. Kelsey and Addison have also been in this same situation. I know that the administration will not check out any students during an evacuation. I know I have time so I am going to take advantage of my knowledge.

School is dismissed at about 11:00 and Shae's car must remain in lock down so that it can be inspected. She must get the Highlander from dad at the office and meet us at South Coast Plaza for lunch with Monique at Lawery's. I know, our life is confusing. Hope is now with her dad and safe and seemingly unmarred by the day's events.

I now have the Highlander and drop Shae and Monique off at their work and I drive home for a quiet afternoon.

I pick Shae up and 5:00 and am met with the comment, "Mom, you don't love me much do you? You weren't even concerned about me when I told you we were evacuated. You should have seen all the parents crawling all over the school and waiting for their kids to be dismissed. They were scared for their kids. What were you thinking?"

I was thinking with my head and not with my heart. Wrong choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment