Sunday, March 7, 2010

THE SWING

I am so thankful that Shae got to grow up, you know, because she had Addison for a big sister. I have to say there were moments when I thought she was not going to enjoy the baby years, in fact, it is amazing that she lived through them. One day she was ready to be alone with mommy. Addi went off to school and she was free.

Shae loved her little swing. Back in the day you had to wind up the apparatus, not yet battery operated. I'd wind her up and slip her into the seat and she would be a happy little camper as long as I stood watch. There were those times when I would step away to complete some household chore.

Addi would always be on the look out for her chance to strike. She would come out of no where, stealth as a cat. She would slap that swing and it would go flying. Shae's eyes had fear like I have never seen. Addison would then retreat to her room knowing that her mission was complete. In her mind it was a challenge, in my mind, not so much. I can't tell you how many times poor Shae had to endure Addison's trickery, but it was many.

Next time you see Shae be sure and tell her you appreciate her struggle to reach adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment