Thursday, March 25, 2010

THE GRAPEVINE

Way back in the day we used to drive everywhere . . . not much flying. It was/is rough but there is always a memory created out of chaos and crisis. I am a believer.

We were on the 5 returning from a visit with our friends in Oregon. It was late in the evening about 7:00 and we stopped for a bite to eat and heard that the grapevine was closed (a curvy, mountainous part of the 5) due to ice and snow. I suggested we stop and get a hotel room, but Scott, being Scott, wanted to power on and take our chances.

Bad idea. We ran into the most awful traffic imaginable and were stuck for about 4 hours in a bumper to bumper parking lot. We finally were turned away at about 2:00 am. Now the trick was finding a hotel room. I can honestly say I have never been so frustrated with my dear husband in my whole life. Snowing, 4 little girls trying to sleep in car seats, cold and bored, thirsty and hungry.

We were able to find a room at about 3:00 am. I was so cold, I was shivering all over and so mad. I scared the girls to death. Apparently, the conversations I was having with their father led them to believe divorce was on the horizon.

We awoke the next morning and was able to complete our journey home. The girls were made secure about their parents marital situation and the roads were once again drivable.

Here's the thing . . . we could have avoided it all by getting a room when we heard the report about dangerous conditions. Scott was to stubborn to admit the elements were not in his favor.

Men, husbands, fathers. They all must conquer the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment