Monday, September 21, 2009

BLANKET

As you all know, Addison is the one Roderick who always must learn the hard way.  It is her nature to push the envelope, always challenge the rules and rarely do what she is told the first time.  God made her so that Scott and I could learn patience and celebrate the unique little girl she was.

As you know from previous blogs, I had a jewelry box that the girls were not permitted to play with unless I was with them.  Addison had trouble following this guideline.  Once again, I found her in my room playing with my jewelry.  She loved to challenge my authority if only to watch my reaction.  Many times with this kid I felt I was being set up, she was that savvy.  No kidding.

This time, however, I decided to try a new approach.  I explained to Adds that she was playing with something that was very important and precious to me.  I needed her to understand the logical consequences of her actions.  So I informed her that I was going to help her remember how I felt when she didn't follow the rules.

I proceeded to go into her room and take her blanket.  Now this blanket was a very special part of her.  She slept with it, she dragged it everywhere and she would hang very close to me when we had to wash it.  It was her security and she was very attached to it.

We sat down on the couch and I explained that the way she felt about her blanket was the same way I felt about my jewelry and the box I kept it in.  I could tell that she was following my every word and she "got" what I was communicating to her.

I then shared with her that I would be sleeping with her blanket that night.  Her eyes began to tear up and it was breaking my heart, but I had to teach her, in a very tangible way, that following the rules, any rule, was critical.

It was a long night but Adds grasped the idea.  She never touched my jewelry again and she was thrilled in the morning to have her blanket back safe and sound.

Once again we're Rodericks, and like it or not, it's how we roll.  

No comments:

Post a Comment