Tuesday, September 15, 2009

MANNEQUIN

Kelsey was in middle school when she decided her room needed a change of decor.  She wanted a mannequin.  Huh, didn't see that coming, but she has a very retro streak so I humored her and  we started looking.

Now mannequins are not easy to come by as I soon found out.  I spent several hours on the phone and several more frequenting garage sales.  I finally found one at Nordstrom's in the Brea Mall.

I piled Kelsey, Addison and Bridgett in the Expedition and off we went.  I was told to go to customer service and ask for Eric in display.  He was paged and we waited browsing through shoes.  I saw him first, coming down the escalator.

Now most people would have guessed by this time that our friend Eric in display was gay, but it didn't cross my mind until that very moment.  There he was, hand on hip, spiked black hair, dark glasses and a harvest orange fur jacket.  He came sauntering up, asked if I were Cindy and mentioned that there were darling bags that matched the shoes we were looking at.  The girls just stood there.  Addison and Bridgett looked at me and Kelsey was trying her best to keep a straight face.  I kept giving them the Mom stare, you know the one.  Don't say a word or you will be in big trouble.

Eric lead us to a white locked door, used his key and we followed him in.  This closet was the creepiest closet I have ever walked into.  Imagine all these body parts laying out.  Male and female, anatomically correct, eyes opened, some closed, hair or no hair, skinny and skinnier, ethic or no ethnicity, twisted wrists, nail polish, no nail polish, eyelashes or not . . . really, really creepy.  The girls stayed right next to me.  

Kelsey made her selection,  I paid Eric and he carried the mannequin out to the car.  We laid her across the back seats because she was so tall and didn't bend at the waist.  Eric blew us kisses and told us if we ever needed more just come find him.

We drove home with this naked lady laid out for the world to see.  And see they did.  We had to endure pointing, snickering, shocked stares and several screaming children.  Truly, I was worried we may be pulled over as murder suspects.  But Kelsey had her mannequin.

What parents will do for there kids.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you kept her - you could use her as a car pool dummy! Of course, you'd have to break her in half and just use the top half since she doesn't bend. But still.... might be worth it. : )

    ReplyDelete