Friday, September 18, 2009

KELSEY & VBS

Our first born child was an experiment in parenting. It was trial and error. Sometimes we felt like we had ruined her for life and occasionally we surmised we were the best parents ever. Both extremes were dangerous as Kelsey taught us frequently.

Addison was born on Sunday night before the beginning of Kelsey's first VBS experience. She was very excited and Scott would get up, take her to church and then come over to the hospital to visit Addi and I. We came home late Tuesday morning and picked up Kelsey on our way to the house. She was potty taught but still had the occasional accident. I worked with her during the week and was confident she was ready to remain in big girl panties.

Friday evening was the big VBS hoohah and Kelsey was very anxious to show us what she had learned during the week. They had been practicing a musical extravaganza as only a VBS program can and tonight was the night.

Kelsey was in the youngest group and she was all dolled up for her debut performance in a church production. The kids were all in place on the platform and the show began with much pomp and circumstance. Kelsey was in the front row singing at the top of her lungs with a huge goofy grin. She was very proud.

As I watched the performance I noticed Kelsey's facial expression changed to one of thoughtfulness. She looked down at her pant leg as it changed from red to maroon and then she looked up and continued singing. The spot continued to grow and I watched in horror as my kid peed on the platform. She finished her song, returned to her seat and I sneaked up and grabbed her so that I could get her in dry clothes.

In my haste to gather all of Addison's gear I forgot to pack Kelsey a clean set of clothes. My mom had a pair of undies stashed in her purse so I grabbed those. Kelsey finished off her VBS maiden voyage in a darling top and a pair of big girl panties.

Kelsey never was one to hold back while in front of an audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment