Wednesday, September 2, 2009

TOGETHER AGAIN

I got some sad news today. My grandmother passed away this morning. She was 93 years old. Let me share a little bit about her.

She married my grandfather when she was 16 years old and gave birth to my dad when she was 17. She went on to have 2 more sons and 2 daughters, many grandchildren and great grandchildren.

They were believers from day one and she taught each of her children the miracle of knowing Jesus and how important family morals and values are for a Christian. I remember visiting them on their farm in Illinois and having the best time chasing chickens and calling up cows from the back pasture. There were always cats and dogs around and once in a while we would play with the geese. They were the biggest challenge of all . . . geese are scary. We would attend church as a huge family and would have picnics in the park across the street after a big family prayer time. Special memories.

I could share story after story about my grandma. I am told that I am just like her. I am also told that Addison is just like me, so the saga continues. She once told me that as long as I'm alive she will never be dead. I will pass that sentiment onto Addi. It makes me smile.

My grandfather passed away in 1995 right after we moved to Southern California. My heart broke for my grandmother. The only man she had ever loved was gone. He died of a heart attack and she was right by his side when he blinked and was gone. She lost a little piece of her heart that day and never regained that sparkle in her eye. Losing someone you have loved for practically your whole life has to be a pain that can not be overcome easily.

Grammy slipped away quietly at her home. My aunt and uncle were with her as she breathed slower and slower and then ceased. It was a peaceful passing, one that I know suited her.

She has left a glowing legacy. All her sons and daughters and their spouses are believers. Most of her grandkids and great grandkids are believers. Many are involved in their respective community of believers and several of us have married ministers.

I will remember my grandparents with the fondest of thoughts and will sleep tonight knowing that they are together once again for eternity.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss. How lucky you were to have her in your life for so long!

    ReplyDelete