Thursday, September 17, 2009

WE GOT RIPPED OFF

Scott and I had just gotten back from Costco and were unloading all the stuff. I hate these trips because one, we spend to much and two, putting it all away is a real pain. This being said, I do enjoy consuming all the yummy goodies we bring home.

We left the garage door open because we were going in and out unloading the car. I finished putting groceries away and Scott was putting freezer stuff in the garage. I started blogging and there was a knock at the door. I couldn't tell who it was as Scott answered it. He shot outside and I was curious as to what in the world was going on. I heard the door slam and he races in and yells "Someone stole two of our bikes. That was the neighbor and she told me which way they went. I'm going after them." All the while he is grabbing his phone, car keys and sunglasses and is out the door.

This is Scott's story as only he could tell it to me.

These two kids were walking through the neighborhood casing houses and looking for houses of "opportunity", apparently of which ours was one. The lady a couple of houses away, saw it all go down and she came running up to relay what she observed.

Scott takes off down the street and through the tract looking for these kids. Now these "children" are not what you would call "blending" into the community. He has a foot high black mohawk, no shirt and they are both carrying scummy looking backpacks. She is dressed sleazily with lots of heavy make-up. Not beach looking kids, so to speak.

Scott finds them, with our bikes, stopped in a driveway, trying to fix one of the wheels. Let me interject that when jacking a bike one should make sure that what you're stealing rides properly. One of the bikes was not in complete functioning order, so they had to stop and try to do some repairs.

A neighbor, unaware of the situation, is helping them. Scott drives up and says "you stole my bikes out of my garage, I am calling the police". The neighbor holds up his hands and says "I don't know . . . " and Scott interrupts him telling him that he understands what is going on. The two kids just walk away as if to say "oh well, this sucks."

Scott is on the phone with the dispatcher now and is relaying information to the police. He asks our neighbor to watch the bikes, which he gladly does, and Scott starts following these criminals.

He follows them to the school field and watches them cross out of his sight as one squad car drives up. He relays what he knows and follows the black and white. Now the following happens all at once. These two brilliant perps walk out of the school. Right behind them is a school administrator. Four more squad cars come screeching up. The fifth squad car comes back to our street to pick up the neighbor lady so that she can identify the two young felons, which she does without question.

The officers nabbed the kids and frisk them. While going through their backpacks they discover the girl has a knife. The boy took a screwdriver from our neighbor, maybe, to use as a weapon. They are both juveniles, which was disappointing to the HBPD because it is a felony to remove property from a garage and HB doesn't see a lot of big time crime, thus the five squad cars.

Scott comes home to get me to help him bring the bikes home and guess who is at the neighbors' house? That's right CSI! I get to watch them put on the latex gloves, dust for prints, take pictures, record damage, etc. It was so cool.

We have our bikes back and the police department is going to keep us posted on what goes down next. I can not believe those two kids just walked into our garage, took out two bikes and rode off with them. As a sidebar, our dogs were barking like crazy and we just told them to be quiet. Maybe they were trying to warn us.

Ah, well. We are Roderick's. We would expect nothing less.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, I love that you used the word "jack."

    What a story! I bet you made HBPD's day! Glad you got the bikes back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I saw them today! They were in my neighborhood walking towards yours. I remember his big mohawk and wondered how he made his hair do that. I thought they were walking home from HBHS and was thinking that they don't have hair like that at Calvary.

    Good detective work Scott. Way to track down the criminals and pursue justice. Remember when Frank pursued the "REINDEER REBELS" barefoot and came home with huge blisters on the bottom of both his feet?

    ReplyDelete