Monday, September 28, 2009

CHINESE FIRE DRILL

It was several summers ago that we encountered the "Chinese Fire Drill."  Of course, I had been familiar with the activity for years, but had neglected to clue my kids in on the fun.

We all piled in the Expedition in anticipation of ice cream.  My kids and several of the neighborhood kids, including one little guy who was still in a car seat, buckled our safety belts and were off.  I love BR in the evening.

We ate our ice cream outside as the sun was setting and we all jumped in the car to return home.  I pulled onto our street and just after I made the turn, stopped and yelled "Chinese Fire Drill."  The kids followed my cue and we all jumped out, ran around the car and jumped back in.

At least, I thought we all jumped out, ran around the car and jumped back in.  No, no, no.  I was missing someone.  Vincent, who was about 6 at the time, had jumped out alright, but took off down the street towards home.  He dad is a firefighter and you mention fire and he is outta there.

We finished the drive to the house without Hope because she was now with Vincent.  AJ, the little guy in the car seat, sat in our driveway, in the car still buckled in, and laughed and laughed.  He enjoyed the drill even though he was not a participant.

Leave it to the Roderick's to make a simple excursion memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment