Tuesday, September 22, 2009

COMPASSION

I have a difficult time with compassion. If someone should happen to hurt me or someone I love, I don't easily forgive or forget. It is one of my many shortcomings and I have to spend much time in prayer and meditation. I tend to lash out, say things I don't mean and do things I would never do. It feels good for a moment and then I'm left with picking up the pieces.

I guess I often bring up past experiences in my life trek, how I felt in those circumstances, and transfer said emotions. Our girls share with us many activities that they are living and I can go right back to high school in a heart beat.

That unbearable, gut wrenching feeling when you've been rejected and unloved. The emotional roller coaster that takes you up so high you feel you can't breath and then drops you so low you feel you will never dig out. That one look from that special someone that can make or break you in a blink. Oh yea, I can go back there in a snap.

All our girls need is a great ear and a zipped mouth. Someone to really hear what they are saying. Someone to cry with them. Someone to say I love you no matter what. Someone to just be there. To know they have company on their spiritual journey. To know that someone has hurt the same way. Someone who can understand and empathize with them. Someone who can direct them on the path to Jesus.

I don't know if I am that someone, but I sure won't ever give up trying to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment